Next Support Group Meeting
February 27, 2010
4870 S. 2700 W.
Salt Lake City, UT
Tips & Tricks
Get that ostomy bag to stick!
Getting an ostomy bag to stick on an active child can be quite a trick!
Here are a few easy fixes that can help extend ostomy wear time:
1. Make sure you clean and dry the skin throroughly. Wafers donít stick to moisture
2. Go easy on the stoma paste It protects the skin, but wafers canít stick to it.
3. Preheat your wafer. A warm wafer molds more easily to your skin so warm it in your armpit while you work. Try hand warmers, heel warmers or hotpacks to finish the seal after applying.
4. Cut a hole that fits. Too big and stool can get under it. Too small and it might not sit flat. (Worse yet, it can cut off circulation).
5. Dress your child in onesies or overalls to keep the bag out of reach.
Fill scars with Eakin cohesive seals by Convatec. Roll a piece of the seal in your fingers to warm and shape. But donít mix with other powders or pastes or it wonít stick.
Have a tip you want to share?
Post it in the "tips and tricks" section on our website
This website is created by parents for parents. This site does not provide medical or any other health advice, diagnosis, and/or treatment. This site and its services, including the information above, are for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for professional medical or health advice, examination, diagnosis, and treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health care provider before starting any new treatment, making any changes to existing treatment, or altering in any way yours or your child's current care or diet regimen. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on the information on this site. Some of the information on this site may be incorrect or out of date. No health information on this site is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical professional.